Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Growing Up Amish by Ira Wagler

Growing Up AmishGrowing Up Amish by Ira Wagler
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I am a bit obsessed with reading about other faiths than my own, and reading about the amish rates up there. There's not a lot of non-fiction about them, fir obvious reasons, so I was very happy to find this book.

Unfortunately, I wasn't happy to actually read the book.

the overarching theme of the book, to me, is "poor ira". Gah, nothing I hate to read about more than the self-serving martyr sydrome. In Ira's case, its "poor Ira I have a family who loves me and wants me ti be happy". Oh, poor baby! ira never once explains why he's so unhppy; just vaguely explains that deep down he knows he won't fit in. even as he's proposing marriage to an amish girl, he claims he knows it won't work. how selfish. ira leaves four times before finally leaving the fifth and final time; how much hell do you think he brought his parents who only wanted what was best for him?

I can't begin to imagine how difficult it must be ti giveup everything - its why I am so disappointed with this book. If only I got some sense of what the author was feeling, instead of the constant excuses for his failures thriughout his early life.

View all my reviews

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Howdy!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Anastacia Reads Published @ 2014 by Ipietoon

Blogger Templates