Saturday, December 13, 2014

8 bit Christmas

8-Bit Christmas8-Bit Christmas by Kevin Jakubowski
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This book is about Jake, a 9 year old boy who wants a Nintendo. I was a kid (though a girl) in the 80s and couldn't resist reading this book for the memories. There's a lot - and I mean a LOT - of pop culture references in the book (and not all of them were accurate, at least I didn't feel like they were really 80s pop culture references), from Cabbage Patch kids to He-Man, and it's a fun romp through memory lane.

That being said - I had to rate the book 3 stars because I didn't feel like there was any plot at all. Yes, certain things happen in Jake's quest to own a Nintendo, and the book certainly has a lot of funny moments (and a part where I bawled my eyes out hysterically, which may add to my 3-star feelings for this book) but I just felt like every scene was strung together mostly to lead the reader through memory lane and to the end of the book, more so then to actually tell a story of one young boy.

In other words, the book was fun to read, without any meat on the bones.

View all my reviews

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Howdy!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Anastacia Reads Published @ 2014 by Ipietoon

Blogger Templates